Meanwhile, the rest of America feels the pain of the shutdown:
- Families of 5 service members who were killed in Afghanistan last week will not be receiving military death benefits.
- The National Institute of Health is turning away 200 patients per week for clinical research, which impacts treatment for cancer patients. Many children are being affected by the closure of NIH centers.
- Border patrol training centers in New Mexico, which train tens of thousands of federal law enforcement officers each year, have been closed.
- Some veterans will not receive federal tuition assistance that they depend on. Access to regional VA offices has been suspended.
- The CDC will be "unable to support the annual seasonal influenza program."
- The National Head Start Association says there are 19,000 fewer children in pre-school now.
- After serving over 5,000 victims last year, the only organization in DC that provides immediate services to victims of domestic violence will close if they don’t raise $19,000 within the week. Many other domestic violence centers are being hit as well.
- FDA safety inspections have been suspended, and the CDC furloughed most scientists who track food safety outbreaks.